My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

What's up?

I haven't been posting as much lately for a number of reasons. I've had some health issues and also worries about the house, the cats, and finances. And then Sitemeter retired its site, and you'd be surprised at how hard it is to write blog posts when you no longer can see proof that anybody ever visits the blog.

I haven't posted much lately about religion either because, I must admit, Catholicism seems more and more irrelevant to me. For more than 20 years I have hoped and waited for the church to evolve, even in some small way, on the issues of women priests, sex abuse, marriage equality, contraception/abortion, mandatory celibacy, wealth redistribution, etc.. Nothing has really changed, not even under Pope Francis, and in fact he has done little but double down on most issues.

It makes me sad - I have really come to respect some of the guys in the church ... William Barry SJ, John Dear SJ, Fr. Roy Bourgeois, Tom Doyle OP .... but at the end of the day they are just individuals within a despotism that has marginalized some of them and has forced out others for speaking up for sex abuse victims, for women, for peace. Those who prosper in the church now are the moderate/conservative buddies of the guy on top, like Antonio Spadaro, SJ. The church is reminding me a little too much lately of our political situation.

But I will still continue to post about the stuff that matters to me .... movies, books, music, politics, animals and the environment, history and philosophy, and religion too. I just need to cheer up a bit.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Dyan said...

Just want to let you know that I visit almost every day (sometimes twice!). Glad you're not retiring :)

8:15 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Dyan - that's good to know :) Maybe I have to find another sitemeter place to use now. It's surprising to see how many people do visit, mostly from Google search to see old posts.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Steve Hampton said...

I'm still keeping an eye on you girlie! I would think that the internet would just be burning up for the crowds trying to get to your blog; your insight is so adept and your taste in music is flawless! (And you just never have sounded like a Catholic - more like a true Human Being - "Behold The Man..."

6:31 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Steve :) It's good to know you are still dropping by. Jana and I were just talking about you guys, wondering how you are finding life in your new digs. If we ever win the lottery we may join you down there in the land of the Monarch butterfly.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home