My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, July 14, 2016

The firecracker saga continues

I wrote in an earlier post that someone has been throwing firecrackers into my yard or driveway at my cats. It's been happening most days or nights, always (except once) when I'm inside. So last night I stayed out with the cats as much as possible and around 11:30 pm someone went by on his bike. Not unusual. But then he went by again and again and again, back and forth, and at one point when he went off down the block, there was the sound of firecrackers. For the next 15 minutes he did this this - he could obviously see me - and then he seemed to give up and leave for good. I don't doubt he'll be back.

What do normal people do in this kind of situation? Do they confront the person? Do they just ignore it and wait for it to pass? The one time something like this happened before - someone knocking my mailbox off its stand over and over - I did see it happen finally and chased the guys who did it down the street, telling them off. It didn't happen anymore after that. But I can't chase anyone now with my bad knee, and the cats are here now too, little hostages to fate if I piss someone off too much.

I know that in the grand scheme of things ... one only has to read the news ... my worries are petty, but still it's tiring to be harassed, to be worried all the time because you don't know if or when it will happen, to know someone out there has made the decision to make your life worse.

5 Comments:

Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Hi Crystal -

Good for you! Very smart too, I think, even though there wasn't a final resolution. You really did "catch" him, and he knew it.

For next steps... well, do you know your neighbors? Are there any possible other people whose pets might have been terrorized? A simple query sent around to those you know, maybe a few conversations... you never know what might turn up. It might empower you a bit more, too! Is there a community council, or some neighborhood group that works on issues of concern to the community? Others from the next neighborhoods over may have this problem... or, others may be very sympathetic to this issue, and have constructive voices to add. Or... do you feel up for taking this fellow's picture? That could give you a lot more choices, too, but those could be more direct and confrontive.

Blessings, Crystal.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

You might want to contact local law enforcement. You may not be the only complainant, aside from harassing animals, its a nuisance and a fire hazard. One of those times when cat-loving German Shepard's come in handy:) Best of luck

9:35 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Denny and Richard,

Thanks very much, you guys. Really good suggestions. I do think there is some kind of neighborhood watch thing here that I could contact, and a neighborhood police office too. Just the idea of some possible options makes me feel better already. Thank you :)

10:21 AM  
Blogger Steve Hampton said...

Dearest
Please don't think of such things as petty. They are Exactly the same as the "worst". They are all a disregard of the personhood of others. All sentient beings are special, not just the ones who claim privilege.

7:47 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Steve, Thanks :)

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home