My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Peggy's cat

Last November I wrote about my neighbor, Peggy, who had just died. Peggy left two cats. One of them was very sick and the family gave her to the SPCA. The other cat, Maggie, needed a new home. Peggy's family asked me to take her, but I already had about 8 - 10 cats here in the yard, so I declined, hoping Maggie would find some place better. Another neighbor was tasked with feeding her and looking for a home for her. Months passed - she was alone at Peggy's house, living in the back yard, and almost every day she would cross the street and visit here, meowing mournfully, maybe looking for Peggy. Then a few days ago she stopped coming by and I hoped that at last they had found her a home. But today my sister and I found that Maggie was in the bushes of the yard here, dead. I don't know why she died, but we took her across the street - some of Peggy's family were there - and they said they would bury her in the back yard. Very sad :(

2 Comments:

Blogger Deacon Denny said...

I agree sad. I'm feeling that way myself. One of our daughter's adopted cats is suddenly very sick. Joan saw her emerge from under the deck this morning, after a torential rain, bedraggled and staggering almost as if she were drunk...and then it hit Joan that she may have had a stroke. She made it into her little outdoor house (heated!) but since then has refused to budge. When I got home I went out to her, and she let me pet her...didn't seem in pain, but wouldn't move. Our daughter got home and we've decided to let her be, tonight. and take her in to the vet tomorrow. I went out and brought some wet food, which she finally did eat. I think she's probably scared, too, not knowing what's happening to her body. I'll try again, after finishing this.

9:18 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Sorry, Denny! I remember when my indoor cats began getting elderly related diseases - so hard to figure out how to help them when you can't talk to them or them to you but you can see they're upset or scared. I hope the vet is able to help her. It's good that she has you guys on her side.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home