My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

TV: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Ever since I had to give up tv service due to the expense, I've been trying to find worthy shows to rent from Netflix. The latest one I've tried was Fortitude ...

a British psychological thriller television series .... Fortitude is a fictional community located on Svalbard in Arctic Norway. It is described as an international community, with inhabitants from many parts of the world (Population 800 inhabitants and 4 police officers). The series was filmed in both the UK and at Reyðarfjörður, Iceland .... American actor Stanley Tucci appears in his first British television role as Detective Chief Inspector Morton from London's Metropolitan Police, who has flown to the peaceful close-knit community of Fortitude, as the local sheriff, played by Richard Dormer, investigates a violent murder.

I watched only one episode .... I think the show wants to be a better version of Insomnia. The icy landscapes were beautiful, but I just couldn't get myself to care enough about any of the characters to keep watching it.

A series I'm still watching (on set 3 now) and like pretty much is Foyle's War ...

a British detective drama television series set during and shortly after the Second World War, created by screenwriter and author Anthony Horowitz .... The first six series are set during the Second World War in Hastings, Sussex, England, where Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle (Michael Kitchen) attempts to catch criminals who are taking advantage of the confusion the war has created. He is assisted by his driver Samantha "Sam" Stewart (Honeysuckle Weeks) and Detective Sergeant Paul Milner (Anthony Howell). From Series 7, it sees a retired Foyle working for MI5, navigating the world of Cold War espionage.

One series I've avoided is Game of Thrones. When I was a teen I read George Martin's medieval-ish fantasy books (from which the series is adapted) but I'm really tired of that genre ... I appreciate urban fantasy much more. From what I've seen in the news about the show, it's just as well I've not watched ... Irish Independent: Game of Thrones - has the sexual violence against women gone too far in the TV series? ... The Mary Sue: We Will No Longer Be Promoting HBO’s Game of Thrones

The shows that I've been consistently watching at HULU and that I love are three: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Once Upon a Time, and Sleepy Hollow (TIME: How I Lost My Head for Sleepy Hollow).

And I'm looking forward to future shows like Minority Report ...


4 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Would Netflix streaming (instead of renting) be a better deal for you? Same monthly fee, I believe. The last time I checked, the movie choices weren't as current, but streaming offers a huge list of shows. For me, current movies didn't matter because I'd never seen most of the older ones.

I loved the British series Midsomer Murders, and the the fun sci-fi series Eureka--along with many others. Have you tried Copper, about a NYC police officer during the Civil War era? I've heard it's good.

9:51 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

The last time I checked the streaming at Netflix, it wouldn't work for apple computers. it may be changed now, but also i think my computer might be too slow ... i've tried streaming movies from Amazon and they would stop every few minutes to catch up. It isn't as much fun, though, to have to wait for the DVDs as it must be to watch stuff right away with streaming.

Thanks for the recommendations :) The Cooper one sounds especially interesting. I tried another that was civil war era ... Hell On Wheels ... but it was just too grim. I have some new ones I'm signed up for that sound be available soon, but I don't know if I'll end up liking them ... Almost Human, 666 Park Avenue, Believe, Forever .... have you watched any of them?

10:04 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I haven't heard of any of those, but I'm so behind in both movies and shows.

Do you watch the DVDs on your computer or on a TV? When I had Netflix streaming I watched on my living room TV via Roku--a small box that sat on a table. Other devices work too.

10:49 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Oh, I've never heard of Roku, said the technology dummy ;) I've been watching all the movies and tv DVDs on the computer. The only tv here is an ancient cathode ray tube type which i can't use anyway because i don't have an aerial and no cable service.

I've been watching some tv series on Hulu for free - that works well and my computer doesn't seem too slow for it.

So the Roku ... you don't watch the show on it, but on the tv and the Roku sort of plays it, like a DVD player would play a DVD on your tv screen?

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home