My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

"Why did God make us?"

"Why did God make us? Because God wanted children. So what are we for? Well, we are not for anything, in one sense. We are not tools or slaves. But in another sense we are meant to be children of God, who will develop our own unique characters and grow in companionship with one another and with God. That is why God cares about what we do -- because, like any good parent, God wants us to be ourselves, to grow and flourish and live well as human persons."
- Keith Ward, God: A Guide for the Perplexed (2013 edition), p. 88

I don't have children but I've had pets and that is how I felt about them - that they weren't "for" anything, they didn't have "jobs" they had to fulfill ... they were wonderful just because they existed :) If God loves us the way I love my cats, maybe he's not so scary after all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

Matthew's Jesus talks about that: Lilly's of the field neither toiling not spinning; and yet... I think you're right.

10:13 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I hope that is true, because if life really is a job, I don't think I have the right skill set ;)

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home