My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Thinking about my grandma

Here's a pic of her with my grandpa ....



And a later pic of her with my mother and me. I look freakishly tall in this, but I'm actually 5'4" so it's that grandma was short :) ...



And grandma on our trip to Hawaii - heh ...



I spent a lot of time with my grandmother. When we were kids we stayed with my grandparents every summer, and when I was in high school, we went to their house every day after classes. In college, after my grandfather died, we went over to her apartment a few times a week at night, in part because my mom had a boyfriend who would visit then. And later we always took her out to lunch every Saturday. She liked all my boyfriends and even the ex. Sometimes we would take her out to dinner and to movies too. It was because of her that we got a smattering of Christian info in our childhoods - she was a non-church-going Presbyterian. I still remember reading the paperbacks she had around the house when I was a kid, mostly Perry Mason mysteries :) And I learned about flowers from her, as she planted so many in their huge yard. I learned about sewing from her too, and how to embroider, and how to knit. She took us on a trip to Hawaii (photo above) and helped pay for our one trip to Europe. When I was little, my great hope was that I would grow up to be like her. I love you, grandma :)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

Your grandmother sounds like a sweet heart. Mine taught me how to make scrambled eggs in her apartment in Denver. I remember we could see the state capital dome from her back window. She was a sweet heart too;)

10:08 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Scrambled eggs, not Denver omelets? ;)

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

believe me scrambled eggs was challenging enough (I think I was maybe four:) We must have gone through a whole carton to get them just right.

3:56 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Cooking is such a good skill to have. I'm still an amateur still.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Daniel Imburgia said...

My grandparents saved my life. Thanks for the reminder, obliged.

5:14 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Daniel,

Grandparents can really make such a big difference! :)

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home