My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, January 02, 2014

It's science fiction day

Or so I've been told :) ... link.

Sadly, the latest sci fi movie I watched, The Wolverine, was disappointing. I do like Hugh Jackman, and Hiroyuki Sanada (Dogen) was in it too, but the storyline was pretty weak. One interesting bit though was when Logan (Jackman) and his friend seek to hide out in a love hotel in Tokyo. Here the proprietor offers them a choice of themed rooms: Dungeon, Nurse's Office, or Mission to Mars ;) ...



I haven't been able to get into the last couple of books I've tried either ... Forty Signs of Rain and The Last Werewolf. So I've caved and am reading another Star Trek novel by David Mack.

Strange too because I'm also watching Star Trek reruns from the library. Tonight's episode - Time's Arrow - has a funny/sad scene: it has been discovered that Data the android will die on a trip he makes back into the past. The crew of the ship is disturbed by this news, but Data is relieved to learn he is, like his friends, mortal after all ...



Science fiction :)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

I've discovered to my surprise that my daughter, who doesn't watch much TV, is a huge fan of Star Trek, The Next Generation. I think the humanistic themes appeal to her as well as the characters who are, for the most part, kind and caring.

8:27 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

They did mostly seem to be very open-minded and kind ... I always remember the episode where Riker tells some aliens that on Earth they no longer enslave animals for food :)

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Henry said...

Unfortunately the film was terrible although the scene you highlighted was very funny!

I can’t decide which Start Trek Series I like best, which one do you like?

Also, have you ever seen the movie “Galaxy Quest” – it is fantastic! If not, you should definitely see it.

2:05 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I do like all the Star Treks except not so much the last one - Enterprise. I didn't see it all so maybe I should give it another try.

Yes, Galaxy Quest was great .... the doomed character who had the red shirt and no last name .... hee hee :)

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Henry said...

Did you see "Cloud Atlas"? If yes, I'd like to know what you think f it because I just finished watching it and I found it to be really confusing.

I'll have to watch it again.

7:21 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

No, I haven't seen that. I saw that the book was at the library but haven't read it either. Maybe the book makes more sense than the movie?

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Henry said...

Perhaps you are right about the book. There parts of the movie I liked I just was really confused by the back and forth. As I said, I will watch it again because sometimes movies are clearer the second or third time I see them.

Did you see 47 Ronin? I want to see it but it has gotten so many bad reviews and I am not sure it is still in the theaters.

2:19 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

The one with Keanu Reeves? I'm signed up to rent it but haven't seen it. The trailer did look like it could have been better but still it might be fun. Reminds me of all the old Japanese movies like Yojimbo and Rashomon and Samurai Trilogy :)

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Henry said...

Yes and I agree that it did look like fun. Good comparison!

P.S. "Guy" was just the "plucky, comic releif" even though he didn't have a last name!

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home