My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Val Kilmer


- Kilmer in Willow

This is the last day of January, so here's my last installment of "January is actors-I-like month" and this time I've chosen Val Kilmer. I've already posted in the past about some of his movies, like Thunderheart and Deja Vu, but here below are some of the other movies in which I've liked him ....

Willow (1988) was the first movie of his I had seen. It was directed by Ron Howard and produced/co-written by George Lucas, and told a sort of fantasy/sword and sorcery story. It's been a long time since I saw it and I wasn't overwhelmed, but it had some nice special effects.

Another film of his I liked was Tombstone (1993), in which he played Doc Holiday. The movie also starred Kurt Russell, Sam Elliott, Bill Paxton, Powers Boothe, Michael Biehn and Charlton Heston, and told the story of Wyatt Earp and the shootout at the O.K. Corral. I thought the movie was quite good, to the point I read up on the real Earp and Holiday.


- Russell and Kilmer

A really good film in which Kilmer had a part was Heat, a remake of L.A. Takedown, a 1989 made-for-television film. It was directed by Michael Mann and starred Al Pacino and Robert De Niro. Kilmer played one of the members of a criminal team of bank robbers lead by De Niro's character. The film's pretty violent but I was touched by a lot of it.


- Kilmer in Heat

The next movie I remember seeing him in was At First Sight (1999) which also starred Mira Sorvino. It was based on a story by Oliver Sacks, the neurologist (I read one of his books - really interesting guy), about a blind man who through an operation is suddenly able to see. I don't think it did well at the box office, but I liked it. Here's a trailer for it ....


Watch At First Sight (1999) in Entertainment Videos  |  View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

One of my favorite Kilmer movies, probably because it's science fiction, was Red Planet (2000), which also starred Carrie-Anne Moss, Tom Sizemore, Terence Stamp and Benjamin Bratt. In the near future, Earth is doomed by pollution and of an unmanned terraforming project is started on Mars to ready it for human habitation. When the growing oxygen in Mars' atmosphere begins to unaccountably diminish, a crew of scientists is sent by spaceship to find out why and fix things. As you would expect, everything goes terribly wrong :) The movie didn't do well at the box office but I thought it was pretty good - much better than a film about Mars released at the same time, Brian De Palma's Mission to Mars starring Gary Sinise and Tim Robbins. Here's Roger Ebert's review of it (3 stars) ....

***************************

"Red Planet" would have been a great 1950s science fiction film. It embodies the kind of nuts-and-bolts sci-fi championed by John W. Campbell Jr. in his Astounding magazine--right down to the notion that a space mission would be staffed by research scientists, and although there would be a woman on board, she would not be the kind of woman depicted in an aluminum brassiere on the covers of his competitors. This is a film where much of the suspense involves the disappearance of algae.

The film has been sneered at in some quarters because it is not the kind of brainless high-tech computerized effects extravaganza now in favor. I like its emphasis on situation and character. I've always been fascinated by zero-sum plots in which a task has to be finished within the available supplies of time, fuel and oxygen.

Waiting for the screening to start, I was talking with a dive instructor about the challenge of diving inside glaciers. "Any time you take away unobstructed access to the surface," he told me, "you're talking technical diving, and that makes you more of an astronaut than a diver." I thought of that during "Red Planet," which is about four men who have essentially dived down to the surface of Mars, whose air is running out, and who do not have access to the spaceship circling above.

The movie takes place in 2025, when mankind has polluted the Earth beyond the point of no return, and is seeking a new planet to colonize. Mars is bombarded with robot space probes carrying various strains of bio-engineered algae. The earth-born organisms seem to thrive, and green pastures spread on Mars. A space mission is launched to send a crew of scientists to investigate a curious thing. The algae seems to have disappeared. Really disappeared. It didn't simply die off, because that would have left withered remains. It seems to have . . . dematerialized.

This discovery takes place after a troubled voyage. The interplanetary ship, commanded by Bowman (Carrie-Anne Moss), has gone through a gamma ray storm, disabling a lot of its equipment. The Mars lander descends to the surface with Gallagher (Val Kilmer), Burchenal (Tom Sizemore), Santen (Benjamin Bratt), Pettengil (Simon Baker) and the scientist-philosopher Chantilas (Terence Stamp). It runs into trouble, too, has to jettison some of its equipment, and then there's a sensational landing scene. The lander is cocooned within huge, tough air bags so it can bounce to a soft landing. But when it bounces off a cliff, the ride gets rocky for the men inside.

Also along is AMEE, a robotic tracker and warrior that has, alas, not been programmed nearly carefully enough with Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics. The men are left with an incomplete landing module and must depend on a supply station dropped by previous missions. And then . . .

Everything else should come as a surprise. What pleased me, however, was the nature of the situation they find on Mars. The movie's ads seem to suggest Bug-Eyed Monsters of some sort, but the actual story developments are more ingenious and reasonable. John Campbell, who liked semi-plausible scientific speculation in his stories, might have enjoyed the way "Red Planet" accounts for the disappearance of the algae. There is a scene--call it the fireworks scene--that in its own way is one of the more memorable encounters I've seen with extraterrestrial life forms.

The acting is serviceable. Most of it consists of functional observations and commands. Terence Stamp is given a brief opportunity to philosophize about the limitations of science, Val Kilmer is convincing as a competent space jockey with a mechanical and scientific background, and Carrie Anne-Moss, whose character Bowman is a nod to Dave Bowman from "2001: A Space Odyssey," is convincing as a no-nonsense pilot. But just like in 1950s sci-fi, the story's strong point isn't psychological depth or complex relationships, but brainy scientists trying to think their way out of a box that grows smaller every minute. To like that kind of story is to like this kind of movie.

***************************


7 Comments:

Blogger victor said...

Quite the movies Crystal!

I don't watch too many movies nowadays because of their content but yesterday a movie started and I didn't catch the titled but it was based in the seventeen century and some British soldiers where searching for witches. My wife and I sat down and started to watch this movie. I didn't tell my wife but this movie seem to be sucking me in as if I was watching a virtual movie.
I often joke to my wife that I married Cinderella and her angel but I never married these other two woman so where do they come from?

Anyway to get back on topic, my wife started asking me questions about matters that we had already dealt with to which I replied, can't we discuss this later cause this is a good movie.

To make a long story short my remarks got me into "A "LOT" of Trouble" and again I made my wife cry so I went downstairs to pray and never got to finish the movie.
Go Figure woman! You can't live with them and you can't live without them.

I hear ya! Will you not have been married 39 years this summer sinner vic to the same woman?

What can I say? :)

10:00 AM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Thunderheart is one of my favorite films, and Val does a great job. I haven't seen Red Planet, will definitely check that out.

Have you seen David Mamet's political thriller, Spartan? Ebert said it was Kilmer's best performance since Tombstone. It's a good film.

And I see from IMDB that he plays Mark Twain in an upcoming film called Mark Twain and Mary Baker Eddy. Woah.

I never saw him as Batman. Did you see that one?

10:14 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Victor :)

10:45 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

William,

I haven't seen Spartan yet but my sister liked it enough to buy it. I'll have to borrow it from her. Didn't see him as Batman. My favorite batman is still Michael Keaton.

10:47 AM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

After all is said and done, I'm still an Adam West fan when it comes to Batman.

5:13 PM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Speaking of Val Kilmer...

8:18 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yah, I saw that. I wonder if he'll be a good one - I assume he's a liberal but I don't actually know.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home