My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Online Retreat



Creighton University's Online Retreat for Everyday Life, what Ignatius of Loyola called the 19th annotation version of the Spiritual Exercises, is beginning tomorrow. It's actually always available and people can start it at any time, but if it is started tomorrow, it will be in sync with the liturgical year. Here's a bit of the blurb from Creighton's invitation page for the retreat ....

We adapted the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola so that very busy people could experience how easy it is to grow spiritually, in the midst of our everyday lives.

Ignatian Spirituality has never been about "leaving the world." It has always been about finding God in our world - finding God where I live, in the midst of my problems, struggles, challenges, and desires. It is about growing in perspective, freedom, and the ability to give myself in service more generously.

Just read the weekly Guide, and as many of the Resources as you have time for. See how much clarity and peace you'll begin to experience, week by week. Make the retreat alone; make it with a spouse or friend or with a group of friends. We guide you step by step along the way, with a user friendly web site that you can access on your schedule, 24 hours a day.


As I've mentioned before, I have done it myself and found it, well, hard to describe. Maybe I'll let others describe it instead. Here below is just the beginning of an article I saw at the National Catholic Reporter that describes this kind of Spiritual Exercises retreat -

********************************

Following in the footsteps of Ignatius

They’ve been called a school for freedom, a work of teacherly genius and a powerful tool for conversion. The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius are being turned to by growing numbers of people who say the 450-year-old primer on prayer and contemplation offers a personal encounter with the divine that frees them to be more themselves.

“There’s no sense of predicting how you’ll change,” said Belden Lane, a theology professor at St. Louis University who did the exercises in 1994-95 and calls them “risky in the very best sense.”

A Presbyterian minister who grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant family, Lane, said the exercises led him to come to terms with his father’s suicide years ago, his mother’s dying during the months he was doing the exercises and his own mortality. “You’re taken into loss and death and all the denials and illusions you play with. It can be profoundly disconcerting,” Lane said.

“There’s a kind of desert journey,” he said. “You travel into terrain that you want to forget about. You go there and you don’t run away and you work through your fears and then you have the experience of Isaiah 35: the desert blooming like a rose.”

For Lane, one of the unexpected gifts of the exercises was rediscovering the aliveness of the Bible, which as a child he had grown up reading on a daily basis.

For Victoria Carlson-Casaregola, an instructor of English at St. Louis University, the greatest challenge the exercises presented was integrating the head and the heart.

Whatever their individual experience, those who practice the exercises agree that the process is creative and the effects of the exercises unexpected.

“You’re in it in order to be in the act of becoming,” said Vincent Casaregola, an associate professor of English who did the exercises several years ago. “You can’t name it ahead of time, and if you could name it ahead of time you’d stop the process.”

A spiritual classic

St. Ignatius of Loyola was still a layman when he began taking notes on his own spiritual experiences. These formed the genesis of the spiritual exercises, which Ignatius was eager to share with others in his lifetime and which have since become a classic work in Christian spirituality.

Not surprisingly, the Society of Jesus, the religious order Ignatius founded in 1539, is rooted in Ignatian spirituality. At least twice in the years leading up to their final vows, all Jesuits make a silent 30-day retreat in which they do the exercises.

The 19th annotation of the exercises -- so labeled by Ignatius when he wrote the exercises -- is an at-home retreat that consists of an eight-month program of prayer in which those doing the exercises, often referred to as the exercitants, commit to an hour a day of prayer following the pattern of scripture reading, prayer and contemplation Ignatius laid down. As exercitants read the gospels and place themselves inside the stories, they are encouraged to pay attention to how God is inspiring them.

Today the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius are no longer just the preserve of Jesuit retreat houses. All of the 28 Jesuit colleges in the United States and most of the 40-plus Jesuit high schools offer the spiritual exercises to their faculty and staff, part of an effort these schools have undertaken in an era of dwindling vocations to the priesthood to transmit a key element of Jesuit identity and education to their non-Jesuit faculty members and staff.

Increasingly, it’s the 19th annotation of the exercises rather than the classic 30-day retreat that people are turning to, if for no other reason than that few people have the time to make a month-long retreat. Even the at-home retreat requires a substantial time commitment.

The surprise is that so many people make that commitment.

“It would be safe to say that more people are engaged in these exercises today than at any time in history,” Jesuit Fr. Joseph Tetlow, secretary for Ignatian spirituality in Rome, wrote in National Jesuit News in 1995.

The 30-day retreat calls for retreatants to spend five hours a day in prayer and is divided into four blocks of time that are approximately one week each. The 19th annotation stretches each of these weeks into several. But retreatants still spend their time meditating on sin and their own experience of sin in the period designated as Week 1, on Christ’s life and early ministry in Week 2, Christ’s passion in Week 3 and the resurrected Christ in Week 4. The exercises follow the liturgical year, which is one reason why persons practicing the 19th annotation often begin in the autumn and end around Easter.

Today the popularity of the spiritual exercises has taken on an independent life of its own. “It’s kind of a contagious thing,” said Fr. Charles Currie, head of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities in Washington. “When people see how helpful they are, they tell their friends,” .....

*************************

“When people see how helpful they are, they tell their friends,”

And that's what I'm doing :)


7 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Nice post, Crystal. Anne's cousin, Father Timothy, is becoming reknowned as one of the top experts on Ignatian spirituality to be found out there. He's in the Oblates of the Virgin Mary, but he presents talks and retreats for Jesuits all the time. I think I might put together a post about him soon.

8:15 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Jeff,

Where is Fr. Timothy? Yes, it would really interesting to hear about him :)

I think since there aren't as many Jesuits, more non-Jesuits are becoming retreat leaders and teachers. Where Fr. Marsh works, there are a number of non-Jesuits, some of them women, who help give the retreats.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I'll send you a link

6:46 AM  
Blogger victor said...

>Ignatian Spirituality has never been about "leaving the world." It has always been about finding God in our world - finding God where I live, in the midst of my problems, struggles, challenges, and desires. It is about growing in perspective, freedom, and the ability to give myself in service more generously.<

Great words to live by Crystal and I passed them on to my friends.

Ok you got me! It was my friends at the hotel of fool but that must count for something cause they are pretty tough on me. For example, no matter what I do each day, they tell me that I must start over again tomorrow. Hey! I don’t want to blow my own horn but I’ve done a few sacrifices in my time but they tell me that still does not matter! It’s enough to drive a normal man “Crazy!”

I hate to admit it but they are right as far as starting good work over and over again every day in moderation. They say that when I start feeling ten feet tall and bullet proof then “ I” “Me” and “Myself” should be more careful cause that’s exactly how Satan wants his, I mean God’s Children because he gets in less trouble that way and these fools also tell me that if I don’t believe them then all I need do is ask King David after he had His Way with His best soldier’s beautiful wife.

All kidding aside Crystal, it’s a great article and I hope that Saint Ignatian and all other Saints, Angels and faithful followers will keep me in mind when they pray.

Hey! I just told my daughter that she could use my car and take my wife to the bingo. That should count for something hey guys? The only brain waive that they gave me was, “Good Boy!” but I’m not a dog although I was born in the year of the dog! (lol)

Hey guys give me back my identity so I can have a little food and then go to my chapel and pray for an hour on my own. :)

God Bless Friends

Peace

3:28 PM  
Blogger Liam said...

Near the top of my list of things to do if I ever have a life again is some version of the spiritual exercises.

6:06 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Victor,

My grandparents used to take me with them to bingo at the aurforce base when I was a kid. I loved it :)

7:11 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Liam,

I'd like to someday try one of the retreats at a retreat center. I think Steve B does that every so often.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home