My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, September 14, 2006

St. Mungo's Cathedral



Here is the bird that never flew
Here is the tree that never grew
Here is the bell that never rang
Here is the fish that never swam

- a memory rhyme of St. Mungo's four miracles

A few nights ago I was watching a show on the history channel about William Wallace. One of the interesting things about it was the visiting of St. Mungo's Cathedral (or Glasgow Cathedral). I thought I'd post a few photos and words about it. Wikipedia says ...

Glasgow Cathedral, also called the High Kirk of Glasgow, is a Church of Scotland cathedral in Glasgow. It is located just outside of the city centre beside Glasgow Royal Infirmary. The history of the cathedral is linked with that of the city, and is allegedly located where the patron saint of Glasgow, Saint Mungo, built his church. The tomb of the saint is in part of the church.

The cathedral is a superb example of Gothic architecture. It is also one of the few Scottish medieval churches (and the only medieval cathedral on the Scottish mainland) to have survived the Reformation unscathed. The 13th century tower is the last remaining intact tower in any Scottish medieval church.


From the interior ...


- the Nave


- the Quire Screen


- the Black Ladder Aisle


- St. Mungo's Tomb

* Visit the Cathedral's official site

* Visit the St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art here


2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Beautiful cathedral, Crystal. I wonder why it was one of the last remaining medieval churches. Did Knox and Cromwell destroy them all like Cromwell did in Ireland?

Good post on St. Mungo. I'd never heard of him. I remember the name Mungo from Mel Brooks' movie Blazing Saddles. :-)

3:51 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Jeff,

I don't know much at all about Scotland and how the change in religion occurred. I remember (from the movies :-) that Mary Queen of Scots was Catholic, but John Knox was becoming popular in her reign and I think most of the lords were Protestant ... so a while before Cromwell ... but I don't know if they destroyed the church buildings or just took them over?

I believe Hugh Grant's middle name is Mungo :-)

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home