My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Ignatius in Rome

A couple of posts ago, I mentioned a Da Vinci Code tour. Here is a different one, given by Boston College last year (2005), entitled Ignatius in Rome, a "spiritual journey into the heart of St. Ignatius of Loyola. Unfortunately, I can't find any information on the tour for this year, but here are the highlights of the 2005 tour ...

Day 1 - Arrival in Rome, with Mass at the Church of Santa Susanna and a walking tour of the area.



Day 2 - Liturgy at the church of St. Ignazio, built in 1626 by the Jesuit mathematician Orazio Grassi. Afterwards, a visit to the Collegio Bellarmino.


- the interior of St. Ignazio

Day 3 - A visit to the Catacombs of Santa Priscilla (read more about the catacombs), and also, the Church of the Gesu, the church of the Society of Jesus in Rome, with the large St. Ignatius Chapel, which houses the saint's tomb.


- statue above the tomb

Day 4 - A visit to St. Peter's Basilica and seating for the Papal Audience in Square.


- the Vatican

Day 5 - A trip to the Jesuit Curia and a meeting with the General of the Society.

Day 6 - The tour ends with a bus trip to the Church of our Lady of La Storta, which commemorates the place where Ignatius had a vision as he traveled to Rome to see the Pope. Read more.

***

All these posts about tours ... I must need a vacation :-)


3 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

The Jesuit Church in Rome I'm most familiar with is the Gesu Church, which is spectacular. The columns that flank St Ignatius' tomb are decorated with gold leaf and lapis lazuli. Very beautiful.

5:56 AM  
Blogger PV said...

I think you need a vacation. You can come over here, there is a lake and mountains and plenty of old buildings.Some important Church meetings were held in Konstanz.So?:-).

10:38 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Liam, it must be great to see these places in person. I read that the statue of Ignatius, there, is a copy, as the original was melted down by Pope Pius VI to pay off Napolean ... interesting stuff. Where I live, the oldest thing is from the time of the gold rush :-)

Paula, I would love to visit Europe again. The only time I have was just after college and was one of those whirlwind cheapie tours with my family ... maybe someday I can come back.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home